By: Louise Mozingo & Wilasinee Suksawang
- 67 million population
- 200,000 square mile
- 6 regions: North, Northeast, East,Central, West, and South
- 77 provinces
- Including Bangkok, the capital city
- Prince Purachatra Jayakara was the first to initiate the country’s tourism promotion, since he tried to disseminate information about Thailand in the US when he served as the commander of the railway department during 1920s.
- 1924 The advertising division of the railway department was established to provide information for foreign travelers and also to globally promote the country.
- 1936 The promotion of tourism in the country earnestly began when the Ministry of Commerce initiated the idea of establishing the tourism promotion department to the cabinet.
- 1939-1945 Because of the Second World War, the work on establishing of the tourism promotion department had been paused.
- 1949 According to the cabinet solution, the advertising division, now the Government Public Relations Department (PRD) which is under the Office of the Prime Minister, was commanded to responsible for the promotion of tourism.
- 1950 The office of tourism promotion was founded under the advertising division of the Office of the Prime Minister.
- 1959 The cabinet passed the Bill to establish the Tourist Organization of Thailand as an independent entity.
- 1960 The Tourist Organization of Thailand (TOT) was established to be responsible for the promotion of tourism and tourism industry of the country.
- 1979 The cabinet passed the Bill to abolish the TOT and establish the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), as a replacement of the TOT.
- 2002 The cabinet passed the Bill to establish the Ministry of Tourism and Sports along with the Department of Tourism (DOT). According to the cabinet solution, the Ministry is responsible for directing TAT, DOT and also all the provincial offices of tourism and sports.
By: Jie Zhong
- China, officially the People’s Republic of China (PRC) is a sovereign state in East Asia.
- With a population of over 1.381 billion, it is the world’s most populous state.
- The state is governed by the Communist Party of China based in the capital of Beijing.
UNESCO: World Heritage List Statistics:
Main Characteristics of Tourism Governance in china
- The current tourism governance of public resource-based tourism mainly follow the principle of Localization management, combining with different level of tourist attractions using corresponding management as well.
- Only one public resource-based tourism attraction can be in the charge of more than 12 departments or ministries including Tourism Administration, Ministry of Land and Resources, Forestry Administration, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Water Resources and so on.
By Kanokwalee Mam Suteethorn & Judith Bopp
Originally WWOOF started 1971 and allowed volunteers from the city to stay on organic farms and join in with the annual fall harvest which was and is very labor intensive.
The different between WWOOF and other volunteer tourism:
- Knowledge in organic farming
- Environmental ethic
- Cultural exchange
What are the aims of WWOOF in Thailand?
- To enable people to learn first hand sustainable living, cultural experiences and organic growing techniques.
- To enable town-dwellers the experience of living and working on a rural farm and in a foreign country.
- To show alternative ways of life, culture, music, foods, cooking, families, sharing, art, mythology, philosophy, beliefs, superstitions, ways to be a human being.
- To improve communication within sustainable living, permaculture and the healthy food organic movement.
- To help develop confidence in becoming self-sufficient, become aware of the foundations of sustainability, ecosystems, bio-diversity and natures role in these.
- To meet and share with caring and interesting people, break the bonds of home culture, meet other volunteers from other countries, sometimes make life long friends, share stories and experience what being a member of a global community really feels like.
- and to discover why Thailand is known as the “Land of Smiles”.
- How can the interchanges between WWOOFER and host farmers be balanced?
- Whether the volunteers are used as cheap labor, or the host farmers are taken advantaged of free accommodation by the budget travelers?
- While tourism industries are majorities of national incomes in many countries, do the growth of this local governance tourism have negative impacts on environmental, economic, social, cultural, and political stability?
- In what way WWOOF, as a local governance tourism, distribute to agricultural tourism/ecotourism/sustainable tourism development of the nation?