By: Louise Mozingo & Wilasinee Suksawang
- 67 million population
- 200,000 square mile
- 6 regions: North, Northeast, East,Central, West, and South
- 77 provinces
- Including Bangkok, the capital city
- Prince Purachatra Jayakara was the first to initiate the country’s tourism promotion, since he tried to disseminate information about Thailand in the US when he served as the commander of the railway department during 1920s.
- 1924 The advertising division of the railway department was established to provide information for foreign travelers and also to globally promote the country.
- 1936 The promotion of tourism in the country earnestly began when the Ministry of Commerce initiated the idea of establishing the tourism promotion department to the cabinet.
- 1939-1945 Because of the Second World War, the work on establishing of the tourism promotion department had been paused.
- 1949 According to the cabinet solution, the advertising division, now the Government Public Relations Department (PRD) which is under the Office of the Prime Minister, was commanded to responsible for the promotion of tourism.
- 1950 The office of tourism promotion was founded under the advertising division of the Office of the Prime Minister.
- 1959 The cabinet passed the Bill to establish the Tourist Organization of Thailand as an independent entity.
- 1960 The Tourist Organization of Thailand (TOT) was established to be responsible for the promotion of tourism and tourism industry of the country.
- 1979 The cabinet passed the Bill to abolish the TOT and establish the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), as a replacement of the TOT.
- 2002 The cabinet passed the Bill to establish the Ministry of Tourism and Sports along with the Department of Tourism (DOT). According to the cabinet solution, the Ministry is responsible for directing TAT, DOT and also all the provincial offices of tourism and sports.